Here is to 50 SharePoint administrator interview questions. Ideal for 2-3 years lateral candidate.
1) What are the three user authentication methods that SharePoint 2013 supports?
- Windows claims
- Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML)-based claims
- Forms-based authentication claims
2) Out of the available authentication methods, which one would is considered recommended according to Microsoft?
Claims-based authentication methods are recommended.
3) What protocol does server-to-server authentication extend?
SharePoint 2013 extends OAuth.
4) SharePoint Store and App Catalog Access SharePoint resources on behalf of a user using?
5) What Business Data Connectivity (BDC) connections types are supported in SharePoint 2013?
- SQL Server
- NET assemblies
- Open Data Protocol
6) What are some examples of technology that OData leverages?
- Atom Publishing Protocol (AtomPub)
7) What types of authentication does Business Connectivity Services support?
- Custom authentication to OData services when it is used with the Secure Store Service
8) What does a BDC model do?
Describes which tables to read, which items from those tables are of interest, and which operations to perform on them.
9) How is the BDC model in SharePoint 2013 more streamlined than in SharePoint 2010?
Visual Studio 2010 is able to connect to the OData endpoint through Business Connectivity Services and read the OData source. Visual Studio 2010 will then automatically generate the BDC model.
10) How is the BDC model used after being built?
Imported into the Business Data Catalog as a farm-scoped external content type, or be included in an app for SharePoint.
11) What Is An Event Listener in SharePoint 2013?
Event Receiver is a important feature in SharePoint . The use of Event Receiveris to handle the events. It is like a method that is triggered when an action occurs on a specified SharePoint object.
12) How is an event listener useful?
Enables SharePoint users and custom code to receive notifications of events that occur in an external system.
13) With an event listener, what are the supported connections for an external system?
14) What are the apps for SharePoint?
Apps for SharePoint allow the addition of functionality to a SharePoint site by using the self-contained app for SharePoint.
15) What is the primary benefit of using apps for SharePoint?
Each app for SharePoint is isolated from the rest of the system.
16) How are BDC models and apps for SharePoint related?
BDC models can be scoped to apps for SharePoint and connection information is defined and stored separately from the app-scoped BDC model in BDC connections.
17) What is eDiscovery in the context of SharePoint 2013?
Introduces a new site for managing discovery cases and holds. The site allows one to access discovery cases to conduct searches, place content on hold, and export content.
18) What are some examples of some things you can related to an eDiscovery case?
- eDiscovery sets
19) What is an in-place hold?
Content that is put on hold is preserved, but users can still change it.
20) What the content can be included with SharePoint eDiscovery export?
- Exchange objects
21) In terms of enterprise-wide eDiscovery, what actions can be taken by an authorized user?
- Create a case, define a query, and then search SharePoint Server 2013, Exchange Server 2013, and file shares
- Export all of the content that was identified.
- Preserve items in place in SharePoint Server 2013 or Exchange Server 2013.
- Track statistics related to the case.
22) What are the different types of mobile views offered in SharePoint 2013?
- Contemporary view
- Classic view
- Full screen UI
23) What is the Microsoft Push Notification Service?
Supports applications on mobile devices that should receive notifications from a SharePoint site.
24) What field type would be used when working location-specific SharePoint applications?
Geolocation field type
25) What is Site-based retention?
You can create and manage retention policies in that will apply to SharePoint sites and any Exchange Server 2013 team mailboxes that are associated with the sites.
26) What does a retention policy contain?
Generally what causes a project to be closed and when a project should expire.
27) What are some improvements in Excel Services in SharePoint 2013?
- Field list and field well support
- Calculated measures and members
- Enhanced timeline controls
- Application BI Servers
- Business Intelligence Center update
28) What is the In-Memory BI Engine (IMBI)?
The In Memory multidimensional data analysis engine (IMBI), also known as the Vertipaq engine, allows for almost instant analysis.
29) What does the Power View Add-in for Excel do?
Power View (“Crescent”) enables users to visualize and interact with modeled data by using highly interactive visualizations, animations and smart querying.
30) Can PerformancePoint be displayed on iPads?
31) What is the Analysis Services Effective User?
Eliminates the need for Kerberos delegation when per-user authentication is used for Analysis Services data sources. By supporting Analysis Services Effective User feature, authorization checks will be based on the user specified by the EffectiveUserName property instead of using the currently authenticated user.
32) What are Community Sites in SharePoint 2013?
Community Sites offer a forum experience to categorize and cultivate discussions with a broad group of people across organizations in a company.
33) What is the primary change with MySite document libraries in 2013?
Users can specify permissions for a specific document without having to understand the inheritance model.
34) What are Image renditions?
Image renditions let you display different sized versions of an image on different pages.
35) How are multilingual sites implemented?
Variations, integrated translation service, cross-site publishing
36) What is Cross-site publishing?
Cross-site publishing lets you store and maintain content in one or more authoring site collections, and display this content in one or more publishing site collections.
37) What is Managed navigation?
Managed navigation lets you define and maintain the navigation on a site by using term sets.
38) What are the Category pages?
Category pages are page layouts that are used for displaying structured content such as catalog data.
39) What is the Content Search Web Part?
Displays content that was crawled and added to the search index.
40) What are Refiners and faceted navigation?
Refiners are based on managed properties from the search index. With faceted navigation, you can configure different refiners for different terms in a term set.
41) What is the Analytics Processing Component?
Runs different analytics jobs to analyze content in the search index and user actions that were performed on a site to identify items that users perceive as more relevant than others.
42) What does the Workflow Manager do?
High Density and Multi-Tenancy, Elastic Scale, Activity / Workflow Artifact Management, Tracking and Monitoring, Instance Management, Fully Declarative Authoring, REST and Service Bus Messaging, Managed Service Reliability.
43) What is a ranking model in SharePoint 2013 search?
A ranking model determines recall (which items are displayed in the search results) and rank (the order in which search results are displayed).
44) What actions can a query rule specify?
- Add one or more result blocks
- Change ranked results
- Add Promoted Results (formerly called Best Bets) that appear above ranked results
45) What are Result sources?
Result source allows you to restrict queries to a subset of content by using a query transform.
46) What is a Continuous crawl?
Eliminates the need to schedule incremental crawls and automatically starts crawls as necessary to keep the search index fresh.
47) How can you remove items from the search index?
Using the crawl logs.
48) How can you specify which entities to look for in the content in relation to the SharePoint search?
Create and deploy your own dictionaries
49) What does document parsing functionality do?
Document parsers extract useful metadata and remove redundant information.
50) Is Visual Upgrade available in SharePoint 2013?
For more SharePoint tutorials please visit SharePointGems
If you like SharePoint administrator interview questions then please subscribe to SharePoint Gems also please like and comment on your thoughts.
SharePoint administrator interview questions do not guarantee you that you will crack interview but using our SharePoint administrator interview questions you will definitely increase or boost your confidence to face an interview.
you also might be interested in SharePointwale